- €38 billion in sales
- 88,000 employees
- In the beauty industry for 110 years
The client enlisted JET Delivers to support a team that was struggling when two country markets merged. The business was already exceptionally dynamic and multi-faceted; the company structure was complex with many brands. The merger led to new ways of working, market differences, and cultural challenges.
Specific issues for this team were:
- Many of the leaders were expats from a variety of nationalities, and the team members were mostly local.
- The leaders were focused on tactically driving results, rather than coming together as a leadership team and viewing the whole situation more strategically.
- The team members became overwhelmed with the changes and workload and struggled to stay motivated.
- The leaders believed they were engaging their team members positively and yet engagement survey results did not reflect this.
JET met with the Division MD and HR business partner to discuss the challenges. We then created a Transformation Journey focusing on bringing the leadership together as a cohesive team, solving some root cause issues and building their leadership capabilities. Following on from this would be the need to build a stronger connection between the leaders and the next level of management so they could support the team members in the best way possible as well.
Review meetings with the MD and HR occurred between each phase to realign and to assess the impact.
The Team Cohesion Journey included:
- Short questionnaire to be completed by each leader
- Workshop for the leadership team to unpack the issues (and bond)
- Workshop for the leadership team to develop the unified approach
- Team coaching follow-up sessions to ensure implementation
- Individual coaching to overcome any personal challenges
- Workshop for next level of managers to understand their challenges, and build their capabilities
- Workshop to align the leadership team and the managers and agree on a way forward
- The division leadership team came together as a cohesive team, with a common vision and a united way forward.
- The leaders began solving the issues with an empathetic lens, rather than just a business focus.
- The level of support and camaraderie across the division improved, resulting in greater engagement and motivation.
- There were still barriers that needed to be addressed, and yet the leadership team now understood a better process to follow to assess the root cause, make more informed decisions that impact the team positively, and communicate the message in the most appropriate way for the team members.
- Other divisions are now conducting similar workshops with their teams to create synergy and a unified way forward.