- Key Investment Company
- SGD 380 billion portfolio, with 900 employees
- HQ in Singapore
- Knowing how diverse the employee population is in terms of nationality, experience and knowledge, the company was aware of how this was impacting interpersonal relationships due to very different ways of working.
- They decided to introduce the DISC tool as a way for the whole company to understand different behavioural and working style preferences. They wanted everyone to appreciate the value the different perspectives brought to the company and know how to adapt to each other to bring the best out of each other.
- Everyone within the company now needed to understand DISC, have self-awareness of their own style, and know how to interact in the best way with each DISC style.
In coordination with the HR learning team, we discussed conducting DISC team workshops with lateral teams as well as intact teams. The first team to attend was the senior leadership team so that they had full awareness of the tool and how they could support the rollout of DISC across the company.
The MDs then became part of the plan to determine the subsequent workshops for their divisions. We also introduced a DISC understanding workshop into the Orientation Programme for new joiners so they would have a common understanding when they joined their team.
Sample workshop structure for one division
- Meeting with the HR business partner and MD to understand the issues and objectives for this team
- Everyone completed their DISC assessment
- Coaching session with the MD to ensure full awareness of her own style and the impact she may be having on the team
- Customised DISC workshop for this division addressing their specific challenges and created groups for activities to build the best level of understanding
- Workshop for the whole division to build self-awareness and agree upon ways of working for a united way forward
- Team coaching follow-up session with the MD and her leaders to discuss how they can work best together and have an understanding of how to manage the behavioural types in their own teams
- Team coaching for each leader with their own team to agree on specific actions for this team to achieve great outcomes for the division
- Final meeting with the MD to discuss how she can support everyone in the team moving forward
- Using DISC has created a common language whereby team members can bridge their differences and improve their communication and efficiency.
- The understanding of DISC has definitely increased everyone’s awareness of their own preferences and those of others. It has helped to improve workplace productivity with teams being more open to different perspectives, and each individual knowing how to adapt to others for more effective interactions.
- They also now appreciate what those people who have very different qualities from them, bring to the table, and why their expectations may be different. It has eased conflicts and helped team members to have better Stakeholder discussions and align quicker on best outcomes.
- The DISC understanding has built a growth mindset mentality and a greater acceptance of change and new working ways.